Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Shaping Values

A value my mother has always instilled in me, as far as I can remember, is that you can always count on your family. Although I do believe some people choose their family and the bond is just as strong whether it be biological or not, my experiences have showed me that in my family, blood runs thicker than water. I've found this to be true in many different life experiences. Since I was born in Mexico, most of my family lives there, and I am accustomed to seeing them every 2-4 years. It never ceases to shock me the comfort and sense of home I feel around them. For reasons in the past, I hadn't seen my three oldest first cousins for about 16 years. When I finally got the opportunity to meet them and spend time with them, it was as though we had all been raised together. They took us out, offered us a car to take around the city, and my oldest cousin, a tax lawyer, a job, if we ever planned on moving back. This sense of immediate trust and familiarity isn't something I often see, be it on television, in my friends families, or even in books. Another experience that has helped shape this value is my mother's never-ending selflessness when it comes to her family. I am certain there is not a thing in this world she wouldn't do for her children, and almost nothing that she wouldn't do for her immediate family members.
In Cutting For Stone this same value of the importance of family appeared throughout the novel. However, the novel makes the case for both biological and nonbiological connections. The way in which Hema loves Shiva and Marion is unmatchable, it is evident in her every word to them, how her time dedicated to the boys and her actions toward being their mother are written. ShivaMarion's connection is an obvious one, even after years of being apart, unforgivable acts gone unspoken, and a life threatening risk, Shiva still gives his liver for Marion. Dr. Stone displays another example, despite his sons being perfect strangers, their operation is the hardest one he ever does, because of his connection to them. He risks his career and does the only thing for them he ever knew how to do.

I think the value of family is a really great one to have. Not only does family serve support system, but they provide a link to who you used to be, who you are, and who you'd like to become. It could be negative in that sometimes people are too selfless and trusting toward their family, only to be betrayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment